The province of Ontario has a Dog Owner’s Liability act which stipulates that the owner of a dog is liable for the damage caused by his or her dog. Owners are held liable regardless of the dog’s history.
If you are the victim of a dog attack, you should:
• Seek medical attention
• Report the attack to the police and/or animal services
• Obtain witness information
• Take pictures of your injuries
• Record the date, time and location of the incident
• Try and obtain the name and information of the owner of the dog
It is important to contact a lawyer as soon as possible to understand your rights.